Fondo Guidini consist of 592 photographic prints belonged to Augusto Guidini Sr. and Jr., father and son, both Tessiner architects, living between XIXth and XXth century. Their heir, Arnaldo Guidini, gave a part of the family archive, comprehending papers, photographs and graphics, to our library.
This photographic material summarize the expertise of europeans photographers as Grato Brunel from Lugano, Gebr. Wehrli from Zurich, Giacomo Brogi and Fratelli Alinari from Firenze, James and Domenico Anderson from Roma, Luigi Sacchi, Pompeo Pozzi, Edmondo Guigoni, Antonio Giulio Bossi and Icilio Calzolari from Milano, Enrico Seebold from Trieste, Moritz Lotze from Verona, Carlo Ponti from Venezia, Paul Felix Bonfils and many others.
The importance of this collection lies on the role of photographic prints, which underlines the link between the newly borne architecture photography ant its function as educational tool for architects, urbanists and landscape architects; in the same time we cannot forget that photography was also becoming a point of connection between ancient monuments safeguarding and their documentation strategy.
Augusto Guidini himself used photography as an artistic and a professional tool, for architectural planning and for restoration tasks commited to him, so it is now desirable to study those photographs to better understand his works and his working method.
Augusto Guidini Sr., born on 1.5.1853 in Barbengo, died on 25.12.1928 in Milan. Pupil of Italian architect Giuseppe Mengoni, in 1877 he open his own studio, working between Tessin and Italy; in 1912 he won the Montevideo urban development plan contest.
Augusto Guidini Jr., born on 1895, died on 2.1.1970 in Lugano, was also a Tessin architect whose activity we know form 1929.